Honey Garlic Chicken is amazing chicken recipe to have as a backup plan. A healthy easy meal at a fraction of the cost of eating out and you can skip the preparation of getting the kids dressed and the hassle of parking when you’re able to have a nice dinner at home.
Baked Honey Garlic Chicken
Honey garlic chicken! It is a saucy, juicy and easy recipe that takes about 30 minutes of your time. You can use chicken breast or thighs, depending on your preference.
“What’s for dinner?”, make honey garlic sauce, bake chicken and cook a side while chicken is cooking in the oven. You may prefer backed chicken vs. fried for health reasons, so quick 10 minute marinating is all this chicken needs while heating the oven and preparing ingredients.
Ingredients You Will Need
- Chicken breasts or thighs: About 3 large boneless and skinless breasts. Cut them into thin cutlets lengthwise. If using thighs, no need to cut. I love using both as even breasts come out juicy and saucy.
- Honey: Unpasteurized or raw honey for its health benefits. Keep in mind once heated it loses many of its good properties, so doesn’t matter for this recipe but still…
- Soy sauce: Regular or liquid aminos have the same amount of sodium. I used only 2 tbsp aminos.
- Acid: You can use freshly squeezed lemon juice, lime juice or apple cider vinegar.
- Fresh garlic: I use a combination of 2 grated garlic cloves that makes sauce more flavorful and 1 minced garlic clove for texture in final product.
- Cornstarch powder to thicken the sauce. You can skip if you don’t have it.
- Green onion and sesame seeds: Garnishes add a nice zing and crunch but are OK to skip. Although this honey garlic chicken is not exactly Asian food, you can use your imagination as you enjoy this delightful meal.
Tips for Best Chicken
- Chicken has to be fresh or defrosted. Not frozen.
- It’s not recommend to pan fry chicken as honey burns quickly.
- If your honey is solid, melt it on a stove in a small pot on low heat.
- You can use low-sodium soy sauce as well if you are watching your salt intake.
- Cornstarch settles fast, so whisk again before adding to the sauce and cold water is key to avoid lumps.
How to Make Honey Garlic Chicken
- Marinate chicken for 10 minutes in a mixture of honey, soy sauce, lemon juice and garlic. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and let them sit while oven is preheating to 450 degrees F.
- Bake chicken for 20 minutes turning once. Rimmed baking sheet lined with unbleached parchment paper or silicone baking mat makes caramelized honey clean up a breeze. Do not discard marinade.
- Make healthy honey garlic sauce by bringing marinade to a boil in a small pot. Whisk cold water with cornstarch, add and cook a few minutes until sauce has thickened.
- Chicken is ready when it reaches 165 degrees F internal temperature. 20 minutes should be good and I pull it out even if T is 155 degrees F as it keeps cooking with residual heat.
- Combine chicken with sauce: Transfer chicken onto a platter, drizzle with sauce and sprinkle with green onion and sesame seeds.
How to Serve, Store and Reheat Chicken
Serve honey garlic chicken with:
- Broccoli salad or steamed broccoli with cheese.
- Brown rice.
- Cauliflower fried rice.
- Healthy mac and cheese will make a good side dish.
Store: Refrigerate chicken in covered container for up to 5 days. It also freezes well for up to 3 months.
Reheat honey garlic chicken in a skillet or saucepan. Sauce will thicken in the fridge, so add a splash of water and watch it come back to life on low heat.
Enjoy this super easy and healthy dinner!